Trash or Treasure

Well I bought a couple of saws off E-Bay a week or so ago and I have them in my hands. I have already taken the totes off so that I can clean the plates of any rust and grime with out damaging them. 




 

One is a D-23 (post WWII) but is in very nice shape just some light surface rust nothing big, a good sharpening should put this baby back to work.





 



The other one, well hard to say the plate is not original to the tote and may be of new stock that someone tryed to make look old. There is no etching or stamping for PPI on the plate and the holes have been re drilled to fit the tote. Sooo I will clean off all the rust and bluing that has been put on it and see what I spent my money on. If nothing else it will make a good practice saw for tuning and sharpening. also may have a go at engraving. as for the tote, well I think it will be used only as a template for a new one, and then placed on a shelf as it is in bad shape and I do not want to damage it anymore then it has been.

I will post pictures as I get them done and maybe even a few of work in progress(etching etc..). Only time will tell. As the weather is not helping for they are calling for snow and cold for the next few days, but, next week will be a heat wave (if you call mid 40's a heat wave) and i will try to get something done as all of the dirty work will have to be done outside. 

So what do you think trash or treasure, your pick. I for one think both and neither. For trash can be turned into treasure if one so desires. And I am trying to go green so recycle and reuse this goes for tools also.

Comments

  1. Those look like great saws. With a little elbow grease those should be great saws. I cant wait to see some more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the way to go, Stephen - bringing old tools back to life and using recycled timber.
    The spoons you carved are wonderful - that double spiral handle is an amazing feat.
    Best wishes,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments Kgoold and Rob. Well the weather diid as they said it would blowing and snowing here for now so things are on hold till we get some more nice days. I still have not made up my mind and also not sure how to go about turning a CC saw to a rip saw which is what I need now. But, I have time to look it up and think about it. Try to stay warm and be safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The New Year Cometh

Summer Time Wood Working.

Tis The Season Of Joy